I wrote recently about how I sorted the junk drawer in our spare room and I just realised I hadn’t shown you how I tackled the original junk drawer of all – the kitchen one!
This drawer, which is in the breakfast bar part of our kitchen, had the usual suspects in it:
- the collection of foreign money that you think you will keep hold of because you are bound to visit there again, not!
- every spare key you own in the house
- chargers, chargers and more chargers
- batteries, batteries and more batteries
- birthday candles (or is that just me!)
- Screwdrivers, because you always need one close to hand for all those battery operated kids toys & fixing all the broken stuff!
- 3D glasses, because where else do you put them so they are ready for that next trip to the cinema
- membership for the local community club (hubby keeps trying to get me there but they don’t serve prosecco or cocktails so I ain’t going!)
- business cards – dog sitters, plumbers, TV fixers, you name it.
We also had a bits and bobs tray on the breakfast bar that just seemed to be the final resting place for random stuff that was just lying around.
So, first things first, a massive declutter! I did get a bit serious with this one and threw a lot of stuff out – lots of random screws (might have been important, to late now), the money went somewhere (the hubby said he had sorted that, mmm, not sure about that), and I actually put stuff away where it belongs!
I then grouped together things that were similar – like all the keys, DIY bits and bobs etc. so I could then think about what type of storage would help me to organise and find the stuff that was left.
I found this drawer organiser on Amazon and it fitted perfectly. I also brought a little tub to store the batteries in as there was still space in the drawer. You can purchase the organiser here. These organisers also come in different colours, they look like they will fit nicely with any kitchen colour scheme.
And this is the final look…..
So much better. I actually did this about 18 months ago now and with a bit of regular sorting it does pretty much stay like this.
You may have spotted there are no business cards in the sorted drawer. That’s because I now keep them in this business card holder in one of the box files with the other paperwork (and to see how I tackled that you can read about it here).
Have you got a junk drawer like mine? Have you sorted it yet? Good luck if you do!
Lets get organised
This post contains an affiliate link