This week I have another kitchen cupboard organising idea for you. Today I thought I would share with you how I tackled the space under the sink in the kitchen.
This cupboard in our house has become another dumping ground. Literally everything but the kitchen sink is under the kitchen sink! As you can see in the photo below I didn’t really have anything sorted before. It all seemed to end up in an old washing up bowl and whatever space I could find on the shelves.
Inspired by Pinterest, I had seen ideas for grouping together the different types of cleaning products. You then use a container or box to store them in.
So after pulling everything out of the cupboard I had a good old sort through. After throwing away gunky bottles of goodness knows what I grouped together what was left. These are the groups I came up with:
- Clothes washing liquids and what looked like 1,000 green pots that you put the liquid in.
- Kitchen cleaning and sterilising bottles, including washing up liquid, detol spray.
- Dusting stuff, furniture wipes, window and carpets sprays.
- Oven and hob cleaning – Now this sounds like I have the time to clean the oven, I don’t and I hate it. But the hubby likes to, occasionally. Normally once a year just before the turkey goes in for Christmas lunch!)
- A few random light bulbs, shoe shining bits and bobs, hand soap etc.
I then needed to find something to put them in that would fit in the cupboard. That’s when I stumbled across these shoe storage boxes in Sainsburys in a sale. The ones below are from Wilko and are exactly the same. A bargain at £1.50 each.
I found I could get 5 boxes in the cupboard easily, with the sprays and bottles standing up.
I also found space for the dustpan and brush along with the little fold up stool that the girls use when baking. Or the stool they use so they can reach the biscuit barrel when I’ve already said no! Love it when the kids listen to you.
I also thought about what order I would put the boxes back into the cupboard. This was so things could be easily grabbed. So the dishwasher tabs can be found bottom right as that is right next to the dishwasher. The washing up liquid can be found top left, just inside the door and directly under the sink for me to reach down and grab it.
And that is that. This once again was a simple half hour project and helped me find my happy place of knowing that everything has a home and I can find it again.
How do you store your cleaning stuff?
Lets get organised!