I don’t know about you but I can not live without my phone. It’s like my comforter. Not only does it keep me in touch with the world via social media, it is also good at keeping me and my life organised. Today I am sharing with you how I use my phone to keep me and my family on track.
Currently I am using an iPhone 6s, but I’m sure you can do most of this on other phones too. By the way, I am not going to be talking about any apps you need to download. All the things I talk about here should already be on your phone.
The calendar on my phone is my life! I tried writing things down in diaries but the perfectionist in me couldn’t deal with the scribbling out if things changed. That’s when I got hooked on using my phone calendar. It’s always with me and so easy to delete and amend appointments. I also love the alerts you can set within it. Below is a list of how the calendar app works for me:
- As soon as any appointment is made I add it to my calendar. I could be at the hairdressers/doctors/dentists stood in reception and I whip out my phone and put it straight in. As soon as I get home I also add it the calendar in our kitchen so everyone can see it.
- As I’m making the appointments I also add an alert to remind me 2 hours before the appointment starts.
- I also make sure that as soon as a party invite arrives for the girls I add it to my phone. I then set two alerts. One is for two hours before the party, so we are not late. The other is for a week before the party. This alert reminds me that I need to buy a card and pressie, if I haven’t already got it. If I do need to buy it I add it to my Notes app, which I’ll talk about later.
- I have also started to make use of the ‘travel to’ option. This is another great alert that you can set when making the appointment. You will need to add the locations of where you are travelling from and to. This is so it can check up to date traffic information and alert you when it is time to leave. This has been so good!
- I also add all family and friends birthdays. They are all set up with a yearly reminder. I also have an alert for a week before so I can sort pressies out.
Now I use the Reminders app on my phone for those non appointment things. I usually use it for things that’s only happen about once a year or so. For example:
- Car MoT’s/services etc. I set a reminder for a month before these are due. This gives me time to book the car in before the date runs out.
- Renew passports/driving licences. Because these are things that are not so regular I easily forget them. Having them in my reminders with an alert means I can get them sorted months before they run out instead of leaving it to the last minute. You could also use this for reminding you when your credit card/utility bills fixed deals are up.
- Organising childcare for holidays. I have started to add all the main school holidays here with an alert of two months before. This reminds me to take a look at hubby’s shifts and work out what time I need to take off work or what childcare I need to arrange.
I love the notes app! This is my portable notebook. Here are some of the lists I make in notes:
- Budget – I list all my standing orders and direct debits so I can see at a glance what is due any time of the month.
- Birthday party organising – Here I will list ideas for the girls presents as and when they point something out. I also use this when party planning. So I write down who has been sent an invite and if they can make the party or not. I also make a list of what the girls get on their birthdays to help with with the thank cards after all the excitement has died down.
- Christmas lists – similar to birthday parties but with added extras There’s a list for food, decorations, wrapping paper and who is getting a Christmas card.
- My weekly to do list – every Sunday I like to sit down and plan out what I need to do during the coming week. I may have had a reminder about a birthday coming up so I will add if I need to get a present and card. There could have been a reminder that the car needs booking in for an MOT, so I will add this too. I then do my best to work through this list over the coming week. And because I have set reminders with enough time before the actual event, it doesn’t matter if things slip a little bit as I’ll pick it up in the next week.
How do you use your phone to keep on top of your life? I would love to hear about it in the comments.
Lets get organised